Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Wrinkle smoothes behind me (RIP Madeleine L'Engle)

Though I was not an English Major in college, I did manage to take Creative Writing as an elective, where I had the great fortune to meet and hear Madeleine L'Engle. Quietly inspiring, she elevated that class into an event, into an experience.

I am sorry that I had not encounted that fine woman through her fiction before meeting her: her stories were of the kind that I should have benefitted to discover in my youth. I did not read her luminous "Wrinkle in Time" series (one of which I still have not got to yet; two if you count "An Acceptable Time") until the summer after I graduated college; but you can be assured that I will introduce my children to the lady and her stories soon.

Farewell, Madeleine L'Engle.

No comments: